Wessex Premier League

Baffins Milton Rovers 3

AFC Portchester 4

1.    T. Male
2.   F. Seibou
3.   F. Williams
4.   G. Knight
5.   C. Saunders
6.   S. Cornish ©
7.   G. Thomas
8.   B. Boam
9.   C. Moses
10. J. Jackson
11. C. Gardner

1.   L. Noice
2.   O. Searle
3.   G. Moody
4.   S. Ramsey
5.   J. Warren
6.   N. Kirby
7.   D. Mason
8.   J. Bye ©
9.   B. Scott
10. A. Baldacchino
11. J. Noakes


J. White
M. Davies
S. Willett
B. Cain

R. Evans
C. Scott
A. Todd
G. Wells
H. Birmingham
H. Gregory

Bobby Scott completed an impressive hat-trick as his side came from behind twice to dramatically win 4-3 against Baffins Milton Rovers on Tuesday night.

Despite the best efforts of mother nature to spoil the affair, the two sides dealt with the torrential rain and produced a real entertaining spectacle.

Defender Nathan Kirby grabbed the Royals other goal from a corner, but it was the quality of his teammate Bobby Scott that made the difference on the night.

The royals started off proceedings on the front foot as Alex Baldacchino and Bobby Scott both forced decent saves from Tony Male in the Rovers goal.

In the 20th minute Baffins Milton had their first real chance of the game as the ball broke nicely for Charlie Gardner, but the direct winger blasted over.

Royals skipper Joe Bye looked to open the scoring by trying his luck in the 29th minute as he released a long-range strike at the end of a nice passing move. However not for the first time, the home side’s keeper was in the way.

But it was the hosts who broke the deadlock in the 38th minute as Shane Cornish powerfully headed home from a corner. 1-0.

The lead was doubled three minutes later as the ever-dangerous Charlie Gardner broke through the Royals defence and slotted the ball neatly past Lewis Noice. 2-0.

Half Time: Baffins Milton Rovers 2-0 AFC Portchester

After the break Rovers looked to further extend their lead, firstly shooting over from the edge of the area before moments later curling a shot just wide.

However during the 62nd minute it was time for Portchester to get on the score sheet. The goal came after a well weighted through ball form Baldacchino found his strike partner Scott, who bundled the ball past the goalkeeper. 2-1.

Ian Saunders side continued to pile on the pressure after their opener, as only a goal line clearance was in the way of denying their second goal following a scramble in the box.

The pressure paid off in the 74th minute as Bobby Scott latched on to a cross-come-shot by Joe Noakes, to swivel and smash the ball into the net to bring the sides level. 2-2.

Although the royals were not level for long, as an almost instant reply saw Calvin Moses smash in a wonderful solo effort two minutes later to quickly restore the home side’s lead. 3-2.

Much like a boxing match the two sides were taking to turns to deliver blows, and once again it was Portchesters turn to deliver a sucker punch.

Nathan Kirby was the man in the right place at the right time as a Steve Ramsey corner found its way onto his forehead in the 80th minute. The defenders header snuck in off the post and left the keeper with no chance. 3-3.

Two minutes later, man of the moment Bobby Scott completed his hat-trick by emphatically turning the ball home to give the Royals the lead for the first time in the game. The goals maybe feeling even sweeter for the frontman, with them coming against a side he briefly played for last season. 3-4.

Andy Todd was presented with a chance to put the game to bed in the 87th minute, but the imposing Baffins Milton keeper kept him at bay.

Saunders side saw the game out well in the remaining minutes, and the referee brought things to a close.

Full Time: Baffins Milton Rovers 3-4 AFC Portchester

After the game Bobby Scott reflected on what was a very enjoyable night for him personally;

“It’s a crazy game. 3-4. I’m not sure they deserved three goals but it is what it is”
“I’m over the moon, it was good to come back here and get a few goals and I’m also glad we got the three points”

Manager Ian Saunders was also pleased with his side’s performance;

“I thought for the first twenty five minutes we played some real good stuff, how we didn’t find ourselves one nil up I don’t quite know”
“Credit to them they were always a threat on the break with the two lads out wide with pace and the number 9 who wanted to battle with our centre halves”
“We haven’t played a league game for some time now, so it was important to get the three points. And think we deserved the win if you look at the game chance for chance”
“What we can take from this is loads of heart from our lads, to fight back and get the equaliser and then push for the winner speaks volumes for the boys”

By Hugo Butler (@Butler__Sports) & George Baker (@georgedbaker_)


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833