Wessex Premier League | 14 October 2017 | The County Ground| Scorers: B. Scott(2), Hayes

AFC Portchester made it two wins in less than a week as they beat Hamworthy United 3-1 away from home on Saturday.

Two goals from top scorer Bobby Scott and another from defender Danny Hayes were enough for the Royals to take all three points against their Wessex Premier League opponents.

The game began at a frantic pace with the royals looking dangerous on the break; nobody more dangerous than Rob Evans who looked to have the beating of his full back every time we flew down the right flank.

It was that man Evans who had the first chance of the game in the 7th minute as he was released down the right flank, but his low shot was well held by the Hamworthy keeper.

The 11th minute saw Hamworthy’s first real chance, as a neat cut back gave Connor Jevon a clear shot at goal, however Lewis Noice expertly saved the shot and the following rebound.

As the first half progressed both sides really grew into the game and started to create opportunities.

In the 26th minute Bobby Scott released a ferocious shot that looked to be blocked by a defenders arm, but the referee was not convinced.

The teams were really exchanging blows at this point, and in the 31st minute either side had a good chance in quick succession.

Firstly, a Hamworthy forward looked to have broken the defensive line but keeper Noice came out well to read the play.

Secondly, versatile forward Nick Kirby turned a shot round the keeper only to see it dramatically cleared off the line by a stretching defender.

Fresh off the back of two spectacular goals in mid-week, when Bobby Scott got the ball you could sense his confidence in his ability to score from anywhere.

In the 35th minute the striker lined up to take a 30-yard free kick, only to see his fierce dipping effort matched by an acrobatic save by Hamworthy keeper Andy Knights.

From the resulting corner the royals took the lead. With Danny Hayes rising highest to dispatch a lovely cross, and getting injured in the process. Thankfully, the centre half was okay to carry on.

Half Time: Hamworthy United 0-1 AFC Portchester

The home side came straight out the blocks in the second half, looking to grab an equaliser as soon as possible. Striker Jevon found himself with a real golden opportunity in the 52nd minute, but failed to convert.

Once again as the half started to go on Portchester really began to find their rhythm and played some lovely football. Joe Noakes looking a threat with his powerful direct approach out wide.

Scott had a great chance to double his side’s lead in the 56th minute but was twice denied by the impressive Andy Knights.

However just moments later, Scott was finally able to get on the score sheet with a cool low finish to make it 2-0 just on the hour mark.

As Portchester looked to wrap the game up with a Steve Ramsey effort which sailed just over the bar, the hosts managed to pull a goal back somewhat against the run of play, with number 12 getting the goal.

Two minutes later and the sides were nearly level after some good build-up play from Hamworthy United but unfortunately for them, they weren’t quite able to find the finish.

As the second half drew to a close, the Royals were defending for their lives with bodies flying everywhere in an attempt to hold onto the lead.

In the 89th minute they were rewarded for their efforts. That man again, Bobby Scott, sealed the tie with his second of the game.

The striker went through one-on-one with the Hamworthy United goalkeeper and demonstrated real composure to slot the ball into the back of the net and make it 3-1.

The score line could have been even more impressive for the Royals had Rob Evans been able to get the better of the keeper, but it wasn’t to be.

Seconds later and the game was over. Another three points were secured for the Royals thanks to a Bobby Scott brace and a thumping header from Dan Hayes.

Full Time: Hamworthy United 1-3 AFC Portchester

Portchester’s next fixture is a cup game against Cowes Sports on Tuesday.

Assistant manager Jason Hampson spoke after the game:

“Coming up here today is never easy playing on the 3G pitch, I think we could have finished our chances a bit better but I’m happy with the win.”
“The pitch makes a real difference, we know how slow these pitches are. I told the lads they really need to put their foot through the ball.”
“Kirby played upfront today, but he’s a lad that will do a job wherever you play him. He’s started the season upfront, moved back into defence and played up top again today!”
“We go into the cup game on Tuesday ready to go and looking to progress. It will be another tough game; we will probably looking to give a few fringe players a go. But we are going into the game with a very positive attitude.”


Royals: Noice, Searle, Moody, Ramsey, Birmingham, Hayes, Evans, Bye, B. Scott, Kirby, Noakes
Subs: Hoolihan, C. Scott, Shaw, Tuppen

Hamworthy United: Knights, D. Randall, O'Sullivan, Buckler, Walker, Clarke, Gleeson, Swann, Cann, Jevon, Preston
Subs: Wilson, Zanin, Filkins, B. Randall

Report by Hugo Butler


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833