Portchester exited the Hampshire Senior Cup in a game where fortunes swung between the two teams several times on Monday evening.

The home side got their noses in front and looked to have seized the initiative before the visitors hit back with two goals in the second half which looked to have booked their place in the next round at home to Aldershot Town.

However, the students hit back with two goals of their own to ensure it would be them facing the National League side in the next round of the county cup.

The visitors had the first chance of the game on 13 minutes when Rob Evans’ free kick from the edge of the box was heading towards the goal until it hit a defender and the deflection took the ball narrowly over the crossbar.

Team Solent took the lead two minutes later with their first chance of the game when they moved the ball forward from midfield to the edge of the penalty area, where it found Ethan Taylor and he had time to take the ball forward before side footing the ball home past keeper Tom Price.

Portchester went close to equalising on 23 minutes when Simon Woods and Mike Turvey combined down the right before a cross to the far post found Adam Cripps but he guided his free header on to the top of the crossbar.

The home side almost doubled their lead two minutes into the second half when they got forward down the left before a pass inside found Hashim Kasimu. Price blocked his shot on goal from close range and a defender got back in time to clear the loose ball before the home striker could have a second attempt on goal.

Portchester drew level on 55 minutes when the ball was worked from the left side of the pitch to the right. Joe Jackson managed to flick on a cross into the box into the path of Woods, who created some space for himself to shoot low past keeper Ben Morella and into the net.

The visitors almost got in front two minutes later when Turvey broke clear down the right and crossed the ball inside to Jack Breen. His shot from 20 yards out took a big deflection off Jackson and although Morella was diving the wrong way he stuck out his arm to prevent the ball from heading into the net.

Portchester weren’t to be denied their second goal on 61 minutes when a free kick was fired low across the penalty area and Woods’ touch diverted the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The visitors’ period of dominating the play ended at that point as Team Solent almost got back on level terms just two minutes later. Portchester failed to clear their lines and Kasimu’s shot on the turn took a deflection but Price managed to get down low to smother the ball.

The home side equalised on 65 minutes when a quick clearance forward was miss-judged by the visiting defence and that allowed Kasimu to win the ball and then race with it into the box before hitting a low shot across Price and into the net.

Four minutes later Team Solent grabbed the fourth goal of the second half scored in a 14 minute period when Kasimu again capitalised on poor defending by the visitors. This time he won the ball on the right before rifling a rising shot into the roof of the net from 20 yards out.

Kasimu almost completed his hat-trick with nine minutes remaining when the ball was played up to him on the edge of the box and as he fired off his shot it took a deflection which took it wide of the target with Price scrambling across his line to try and reach the ball.

Portchester had two late half chances but Jamie Ford’s header from a free kick looped over the target and Woods’ attempt to curl a shot with the outside of his boot into the net went wide of the goal.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833