A goal and two assists from striker Mike Turvey made sure that AFC Portchester completed an impressive 3-1 home win over Shaftesbury FC.

Mick Caitlin’s side started with real purpose as they looked to make the home advantage count at a sunny Crest Finance Stadium.

The first half-chance of the game fell to Portchester skipper Steve Ramsey, who’s 25-yard strike was well held by Hill in the Shaftesbury goal.

After some real early pressure, it was the Royals who broke the deadlock in the 17th minute as Mike Turvey showed some brilliant footwork to break down the right channel, before squaring the ball to a perfectly placed Joel Jackson to tap in. 1-0.

It was almost two just five minutes later as Turvey headed against the post, after acrobatically attacking a dangerous Brandon Miller cross.

However, Shaftesbury drew level in the 24th minute after Aaron White was the first to react after Charlie Searle did well to save the original shot from close range. 1-1.

After their goal the away side grew more into the contest, and only a stunning athletic save from Searle stopped them from taking the lead with a long-distance strike in the 35th minute.

Ramsey who looked very dangerous breaking from midfield throughout the game was the next to go close, as he saw a clever curling effort fly just wide.

Half Time: AFC Portchester 1-1 Shaftesbury

After picking up a knock in the first half, Portchester were forced into substituting Harry Birmingham, which in turn resulted in a debut for Rheo Miller-Calvin.

The second half did not start with the intensity of the first, with both teams taking a while to settle and struggled to create any chances of note after the break.

As the game developed Mike Turvey began to really take the game to Shaftesbury, and the away sides defenders were struggling to deal with the forward’s direct approach.

It was that man Turvey who put Portchester in the lead in the 67th minute, as he headed in after he was picked out by a delightful cross from Charlie Cooper. 2-1.

Charlie Searle who had a very impressive debut between the sticks produced his best moment in the 85th minute, using cat-like reflexes to deny the Shaftesbury forward at his near post, to the delight of his defenders.

The game was settled in the 88th minute after substitute Billy Connor got on the end of a delightful Turvey through ball, to carefully slide the ball past the goalkeeper. 3-1.

Full Time: AFC Portchester 3-1 Shaftesbury


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833