AFC Portchester lost at Bashley for the second time this season - this time in the Wessex Premier Division last Saturday.

The Royals lost 6-0 in the FA Vase last time they ventured to the New Forest earlier in the season and this time out they experienced a different type of disappointment.

Their last trip brought Portchester the feeling of humiliation but at the weekend they had to endure the agony of deserving something from this game but they couldn’t find the goal which would have brought them at least a point.

Bashley’s style of play - hitting the ball into space behind the visiting defence - produced plenty of chances for them and they nearly took the lead after just five minutes.

A low pass was slipped in behind the defence and Dan O’Sullivan and Olly Searle raced after it. The ball was knocked past keeper Charlie Searle as he raced to the edge of the penalty area but Adam Cripps managed to get back to the goal line and clear the ball away.

Harrison White then shot well wide after making his way into the box and Charlie Searle spilled Hugh Dathan’s cross to the near post from the right but regathered it at the second attempt.

Portchester went close to snatching the lead on 13 minutes when George Tuson-Firth got clear of the defence but as he tried to go around Isaac Haigh, the keeper knocked the ball away from him. It ran to Jack Breed who tried to steer his shot on goal from 20 yards out but he put his effort just high and wide of the target.

The visitors went closer still 14 minutes later when after breaking down the right, a cross to the near post found substitute Bobby Scott but his header whistled just wide of the post.

Bashley took the lead on 32 minutes when a through ball, following good build up play in midfield, opened up the Portchester defence.

Cameron Beard got the ball on the left and cut inside along the edge of the penalty area. As a defender lost his footing that gave him enough space to smash a low shot past Charlie Searle and into the net.

The home side should have doubled their lead two minutes later when Dan Munday scampered clear down the left. He drew the defenders towards him before squaring a pass to Beard, who took time to steady himself but his shot was saved at point blank range by the Royals’ keeper.

Charlie Searle made another excellent blocking save on 38 minutes when Munday raced through from midfield but hit his shot straight at the keeper.

The visitors drew level two minutes later when Charlie Cooper’s pass found Mike Turvey in the box and he was sent tumbling under a challenge. Steve Ramsey’s spot kick had enough power behind it to beat Haigh’s low dive to his right.

It nearly got better for Portchester on the stroke of half time when Scott’s shot from inside the area was blocked by Haigh and a defender had to block Ramsey’s effort from the re-bound.

However, Bashley re-took the lead in first half injury time with a move down the right - where so much of their chances were developed from throughout the game.

A quick break had the visiting defence scrambling back towards their own goal again and the Portchester players were drawn towards the ball before a pass across the penalty area found Beard and his shot went inside the far post.

The visitors will be wondering how they didn’t score during the second half after surviving a couple of early scares.

Munday’s header from a corner had to be saved by Charlie Searle and Sam Jackson’s effort from another corner had to be cleared off the line.

Portchester then had a goal disallowed for offside and Haigh was lucky to see the ball bounce away for a corner when he spilt Scott’s shot.

The home keeper somehow prevented an equaliser on 68 minutes when Turvey stooped low to send his diving header from substitute Stuart McConnicie’s cross towards goal.

Haigh managed to initially tip the ball upwards but it was still heading towards the net until he managed to reach up and claw the ball away for a corner before it spun over the line.

Haigh saved another shot from Turvey and Olly Searle smashed his shot over the top from close range when the home defence allowed a corner to bounce inside the six yard box.

In the closing stages a free kick played forward from the halfway line by Portchester almost brought the breakthrough they were looking for.

Dan Thompson got his foot to the ball as it bounced into the penalty area but although the ball looked like it might loop over, Haigh managed to scramble backwards enough to tip the deflection over the crossbar.

With three minutes remaining Bashley almost nicked a third goal when White unleashed a shot from the edge of the box but Charlie Searle dived to his right to tip the ball around the post.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833