AFC Portchester had to endure a derby day mauling at the hands of Horndean on Saturday.
The eagerly anticipated game was over as a contest when the Royals were reduced to 10 men for 80 minutes of the match.
The visitors could claim they were on the wrong end of some questionable refereeing decisions which limited their challenge for a result on the day.
But Horndean were in a ruthless mood and they made Portchester pay dearly for their lacklustre performance.
The home side took the lead on six minutes and they never looked back after this.
They worked the ball well down the left before Harry Jackson crossed the ball into the box and Alfie Lis lost his marker to thump his shot home into the roof of the net.
Things went from bad to worse for Portchester when they were reduced to ten men just four minutes later - although they will feel the referee’s decision was a very harsh one towards them.
A loose ball popped up close to the half way line and a player from each side both went for the ball in what looked like a tough 50/50 challenge.
However, following strong protests from the home side the referee judged that Craig Hardy’s attempted tackle was worthy of a red card.
What disappointed Portchester about that decision is that just a few minutes earlier Jack Maloney appeared to catch a visiting defender late in a similar tackle but the referee only gave him a strong talking to.
After this turning point in the match, the Deans took full control of the situation and Portchester could barely muster an attack on goal, let alone a shot.
Horndean doubled their advantage on 26 minutes when keeper Charlie Searle got down low to his right to push out Maloney’s free kick from 20 yards out. Sean McMonagle ran in on the loose ball to tuck his shot home from close range.
Portchester’s first shot on goal came on 32 minutes when a corner was cleared as far as Charlie Cooper on the edge of the box but his shot drifted wide of the target.
The home side went 3-0 up four minutes before half time when the ball was crossed into the box from the right and McMonagle climbed above his marker to nod the ball home from close range.
There was no let up from the home side in the second half and on 53 minutes Maloney got inside the penalty area after good passing by Tafadzwa Kanjanda and Ash Howes but he curled his shot straight into the gloves of Charlie Searle.
Portchester were feeling harshly treated again by the referee on the hour mark when Mike Turvey appeared to be clearly cut down inside the box but nothing was given.
Play then went straight up the other end of the pitch but this time the referee judged a tackle just inside the box was a penalty.
Maloney hit his spot kick low to Charlie Searle’s left and the keeper was unlucky not to get a hand to the ball as it rolled into the net.
On 67 minutes the Deans went close to getting their fifth goal when substitute Miles Everett picked up the ball on the left hand edge of the box and his shot drifted just wide of the far post.
The fifth goal did come on 76 minutes when Howes picked up the ball wide on the right. His first cross was blocked but his second ball into the box found McMonagle, who had got in front of his marker to turn the ball home at the near post to complete his hat-trick.
Horndean almost scored again on 81 minutes when Benny Reed rolled his cross along the six yard box and substitute Mark Smith couldn’t stretch enough to touch the ball over the line.
Portchester’s misery was completed on 85 minutes when Howes’ ball over the top saw Kanjanda get clear when he evaded the tackle of Matt Simm.
He then pulled the ball back into the path of Lis, who rolled his shot home from 10 yards out.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833