AFC Portchester were soundly beaten on a miserable night in the New Forest.
The Royals were rarely in the game as defensive mistakes cost them dearly and they created few chances going forward.
The home side had their first chance of the game on nine minutes when keeper Nicholas Jones launched a free kick forward from just inside his own half.
From the right edge of the penalty area the ball was knocked back inside and found Mike Gosney who hit a shot which flew across the goal but missed the far corner.
Lymington took the lead on 14 minutes when a clearance down the middle of the pitch looked no danger until a Portchester defender lost his footing and that left Steve Flynn to take the ball forward, go around keeper Charlie Searle and roll it into the net.
On 18 minutes Charlie Searle had to back peddle quickly to tip Ashley Jarvis’ cross from the left over and on 32 minutes both Brad Magookin and Gosney had shots blocked in front of goal by visiting defenders.
Portchester came more into the game midway through the half and on 34 minutes they created their first chance of the game when Mike Turvey managed to get clear of the defence following a long throw into the box.
His shot was kept out by Jones’ outstretched leg and the ball rebounded to Jake King who tried to head it towards goal but a defender cleared the danger.
Lymington doubled their lead on 38 minutes when a corner from the left found Gosney inside the six yard box and he had a free header to score at the near post.
Portchester had another half chance just before half time when Nathan Kirby laid the ball off to Jack Breed but Jones blocked his effort.
The visitors had another chance two minutes into the second half when a cross-field ball found Turvey on the right. His ball into the box dropped into the path of Liam Kimber but he couldn’t connect with the ball and it bounced away.
Lymington nearly got their third goal six minutes later when after several attempts to drive into the box, Gosney picked up the ball and ran along the edge of the penalty area before firing a shot on goal which hit the outside of the post.
The home side did eventually go 3-0 up on 65 minutes when Flynn got in behind the defence and his low ball across goal was met by substitute Michael Finch who tucked his shot home from close range.
Lymington only had to wait another four minutes for their fourth goal when a corner from the right was crossed to the far post and Flynn out jumped everyone to head the ball home.
With ten minutes remaining Portchester had another rare chance in this game when Steve Ramsey’s free kick had to be tipped over by Jones.
From the corner Ramsey played the ball back across the penalty area and substitute Joel Jackson’s flick towards goal went just wide.
The scoring was completed on the stroke of full time when a low shot by Flynn from ten yards out went under Charlie Searle’s dive and trickled into the net to complete the home player’s hat-trick.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833