Sholing’s march to the Wessex League Premier Division title continued with relative ease at Portchester on Saturday.
Early goals at the start of each half killed this game off from the visitors’ perspective before the Royals had a chance to try and get a foothold in the match.
Although the home side could have no complaints with the result they did have two decent half chances in the first half which, if they had been taken, could have changed the course of the afternoon.
Sholing’s first chance came on three minutes when Dan Miller out jumped everyone to meet a corner from the right but his header was cleared off the line by Matt Simm.
The visitors took the lead two minutes later when a throw in from the left found Dan Mason on the edge of the penalty area. He turned past his marker before smashing his shot home.
Sholing almost doubled their lead on seven minutes when Dan Mason headed a free kick from the left towards goal and keeper Charlie Searle dived to his left to push the ball on to the post.
Portchester had a good chance to equalise on 17 minutes when Steve Ramsey floated a free kick from the left into the box, picking out Craig Hardy but he could not keep his attempt on goal down and it flew well over the target.
Two minutes later the home side almost gifted Sholing their second goal when a defender’s miss-kick was picked up by Bradey Norton but after racing clear into the box he put the ball straight into Charlie Searle’s gloves.
Portchester went close again to scoring on 22 minutes when a free kick from the right was crossed into the near post area and keeper Ryan Gosney made a fine one handed save to keep Mike Turvey’s close range header out.
The visitors went 2-0 up two minutes into the second half following some good build up play down the left. The ball was played inside to Alex Sawyer, who spun his marker before hitting a shot across Charlie Searle and into the far corner.
On 67 minutes substitute Jack Nicholas put the ball across the face of the goal into the path of Dan Mason but he couldn’t apply enough of a touch to the ball to turn it over the line from close range.
Dan Mason should have made it 3-0 a few minutes later when he chased down a long ball through the middle. He shrugged off Hardy, took the ball around Charlie Searle but with an open goal he got his shot horribly wrong and screwed it wide of the target.
Sholing did get their third goal on 73 minutes when Norton latched on to a through ball down the middle and although Charlie Searle got a strong hand to his shot, the home keeper couldn’t prevent the ball from rolling into his net.
Portchester got themselves on the scoresheet five minutes later after Owen Roundell brought down Ramsey as he drove forward towards the six yard box. The home captain picked himself up to dispatch the penalty past Gosney.
In the final ten minutes Portchester tried to push forward in search of more goals but their best chance fell to substitute Charlie Cooper on 86 minutes but he could only curl his shot straight into the hands of Gosney.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833