Portchester’s improving form continued on Tuesday night when they snatched victory on their trip to the New Forest.

It proved to be a scrappy encounter, with the home side keen to get points to move away from the relegation zone and the visitors looking for points to ensure they did not get sucked further down the table.
There were few clear cut chances for either side but ultimately the Royals took their opportunity when it came along.
Portchester had more of the early pressure and home keeper Matt Taylor had to make a finger tip save from Mike Turvey’s shot and Craig Hardy sent a header just wide of the post.
On 16 minutes the home side had their first opportunity of the game when Charlie Cooper lost Matt Sheedy when a quick throw in was played to the far post but fortunately for the visitors he skied his effort.
Gerson Ramos proved to be a danger throughout the first half when he threatened to latch on to several long through balls and at the other end, Steve Ramsey picked up a clearance 35 yards out but his rising shot was easily gathered by Taylor.
Three minutes after interval Ramos almost found a break through for the home side when he chased down a long clearance.
He took a couple of touches as he made his way into the penalty area and tried to prod the ball past Charlie Searle but the keeper got a touch to it to divert the shot around the post.
Five minutes later, a long diagonal ball picked out Tobi Falodi on the right hand side of the penalty area and although his shot went past Charlie Searle he could only find the side netting with it.
A throw in on the right saw Brockenhurst go closer still when Mo Nyang received the ball at the near post and Charlie Searle got down well to push his shot away.
On 66 minutes Portchester substitute Reece Tuppen opened up the home defence with a surging run forward down the left but after cutting inside the penalty area, his shot was blocked by Taylor.
Jordan Brooks then tried his luck with the rebound from outside the box but his low shot lacked the power and direction to trouble the home goal.
Brockenhurst went close again on 79 minutes in bizarre circumstances when visiting defender Ben Buckland believed the ball was well out of play on the left touchline but play was allowed to continue.
Ramos made the most of the situation by taking the ball forward into the box but his low shot went across the goal and wide of the far post.
Portchester got what proved to be the winner with seven minutes remaining when the ball was knocked forward down the left and Turvey latched on to it.
He evaded an attempt to chop him down as he made his way into the box and he hit his shot across the keeper and towards the goal.
Stuart McConnachie was taking no chances though in waiting to see if the ball crossed the line as he ran on to it and smashed it into the net from two yards out.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833