One goal was all the home side needed to settle this scrappy encounter that won’t live long in the memory.
Neither goalkeeper had a particularly busy afternoon and the second half’s action summed up what a dreary game this was.
The pitch had an end of season feel to it, which mirrored a lot of the action attempted on it - the bobbly surface contributed to plenty of passes going astray from both sides and this prevented any real flowing football from being played.
It looked like the visitors had taken the lead on 10 minutes when they broke up play in the midfield area and Mike Turvey picked up the ball.
He spread the ball left into the path of Brodie Spencer as he made his way into the box and he flashed his shot towards goal - it looked like it had gone in from this observer’s angle but it had in fact flown the wrong side of the post.
Steve Ramsey then hooked a shot towards goal which lacked any real power and Elliot Bevis got on the end of Mali Benjamin’s through ball but hit his shot straight at Portchester keeper Max Alderson.
What ended up being the only goal of the game came on 19 minutes when the home side won possession of the ball in midfield and Greg Peel fed the ball forward down the middle to Ben Wood.
He raced between two defenders into the penalty area and from 15 yards out he dispatched a low shot down Alderson’s left hand side and into the net - the young keeper who was making his first team debut had no chance of keeping the shot out.
Portchester came desperately close twice to netting an equaliser before half time. On 25 minutes Ramsey picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and dispatched a rocket of a shot which flew past keeper Paul Woods and hit the underside of the crossbar - but the ball bounced away from the goal.
On 36 minutes Ramsey had a second chance to cross the ball into the box after his corner was partially blocked and he picked out Craig Hardy at the far post but his header hit the top of the crossbar and bounced over.
There was plenty of effort and endeavour shown by both sides in the second half but neither goal looked in any real danger at any point.
On 58 minutes Connal Morrison got the ball in space down the left and his cross picked out substitute Joel Jackson on the edge of the six yard box but his header had no power behind it and Woods made an easy save.
On 70 minutes after a period of play where Shaftesbury kept Portchester pinned back around their own penalty area they won back possession and the ball was played in behind the visiting defence.
Substitute Derick Hayford ran through to try and convert the through ball but Alderson had raced off his line and got down quickly to smother the danger.
Eight minutes later Jack Mitchell picked up the ball after Jordan Brooks slipped over and raced into the box before hitting a shot across goal which Alderson got his finger tips to to ensure it went wide for a corner.
Portchester had a hat-trick of half chances in the final nine minutes of the match. On 81 minutes Morrison’s persistence down the left saw him break clear and when he pulled the ball back to substitute Efu Kazadi, his weak shot rolled through to Woods.
On 89 minutes Turvey was bundled over on the edge of the penalty area and Ramsey’s free kick fizzed wide of the far post.
In the third minute of injury time Portchester found some space to move forward in down the right and a deep cross was met by Morrison’s header, which had the keeper and a defender back peddling but the ball dropped the wrong side of the crossbar.


AFC Portchester
The Crest Finance Stadium
Wicor Recreation Ground
Cranleigh Road
PO16 9DP

+44 (0) 1329 233833